Saturday, December 31, 2011

5 Films 2011

A list of my 5 favorite films of 2011 that I have seen. I haven't seen that many, sadly, but these are my faves!
5.The Green Hornet. 
Wait, what?! You may be saying, but, yeah I liked it.  I thought it was a fun action/comedy that was filmed very imaginativly. Michele Gondry is one of my favorite directors, and he didn't disappoint. the scene where they are in the car & the camera is just doing a complete 180 is still stuck in my head. The Final action scene with the cut in half car is also pretty spectacular, due to mixing action, humor, and the slightly bizarre. I can honestly say that I've never seen that in a film, and I think this is the kind of thing that happens when you let innovative directors the chance to branch out and try something new. On the acting side, Seth Rogan was Seth Rogan-ing, which I don't mind, I think he's funny. Jay Chou was a good Kato, and did the most of the heavy lifting when it came to the action. they both had good banter together, and the weird romantic triangle was a unseen, and original. The star of the acting show, however, was Christoph Waltz. His portrail of a doubting mob boss with old fashion ideas, a difficult to pronaounce last name, and one of the best weapons in cinema was total bliss to behold. I just could not stop smiling during his scenes, but he still commanded the viciousness that an "evil villain" needs. 



4. Hanna.
Hanna is a nice little action flick. Saoirse Ronan plays the titular Hanna. A girl raised isolated in the forest by her father, played by Eric Bana. The film is surrounded by an air of mystery, you know something is up, but you're not sure what. The opening scene is gorgeous, the director, Joe Wright seems to have done only period pieces or Oscar bait, but this film does not mess around. The action scenes art adrenaline filled, fast paced, and brutal, with help from the awesome Chemical Brothers. The stand out actor, again, is the villain. This time played by the lovely Kate Blanchette. She plays the head of a government agency with a southern drawl, and a shock of red hair. There are undertones of fairy tales, and stories through out the whole movie, and it really works here.


3. Super 8.
J.J. Abrams ode to Steven Spielberg was my favorite summer movie. It really is an E.T. meets Clover field mash up, a mixing of childhood heart with crazy alien mysteries. I think this is the most personal film that Abrams has made yet. The subject matter is directly in my wheel house though, a bunch of little cinephiles capture a big mystery while making their homemade movie. It has a ton of action, a weird creature, and genuine/funny moments. Highlight of the actors this round goes to Ellie Fanning, that kid can act.... wow. This movie shows it's love of film, and how it can capture the imagination.


2. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. 
David Fincher is up there in the pantheon of directors where I will watch whatever they do. This movie is gritty and dark, but also sleek and clean. Mainly due to the fact that it follows two protaganists whose worlds meet later on. It is a big game of  clue on the big screen, all the suspects are out and you're on the same search for clues as Daniel Craig & Rooney Mara. The opening credits were spectacular, an arty blend of images set to 'The Immigrant Song' by Karen-O, Trent Reznor, & Atticus Ross. Actually the whole score is really superb, and helps set the mood. There are brutal moments that made me tense up, but there is comeuppance. Rooney Mara gives a stellar performance, I've never seen anything else shes been in, but will look out for her. The mystery is great, but what I enjoy is the emotional stuff that slowly happens through out the film, but really hit towards the end. 





1. Drive
I spoke a lot about this film earlier. I think this was the most I enjoyed my self at the movies this year. Every thing about this movie was great. The acting by the whole cast, but especially Albert Brooks, was spectacular. I think what it is, is that it does the opposite of what normal action movies do. It's a slow, paced first half, then the violence kicks in and it seems so graphic because of this choice. The music choice of synth pop, and the color palette with all the pink have never featured heavily in an action flick. Just doing something new with the genre, zigging where people usually zag, mad this a fun ride from beginning to end. I really need to watch this again.

No comments: