Wednesday, September 21, 2011

DRIVE

This movie. WOW.
I saw the trailer for this once a while back. And I knew then that I needed to see it as soon as possible. I'm still thinking about this movie a day later. It's just well done cinema. This is a movie where everyone involved is on their 'A' game; writing, directing, acting, sound, lighting, and the list continues. I think what makes this so good is that it has a real indie sensability to it. The director, Nicolas Winding Refn, makes great visual choices, and the colors in this are fantastic. The pallet reminds me of the film 'Push', very saturated. Besides the color though, the real reason I liked it is because it's an action movie, but it has a slow burn to it. You'd think this is a bad thing and that it would be boring, but you're really sucked in right at the opening. The Tension in some scenes keep you almost literally, on the edge of your seat. This is an action movie, but like I said, it's a slow burn. So when the violence does happen it just seems that much more gruesome. It made me keep an eye out for Refn's other films, because movie making like this is why movies are made.
The Actors in this are all superb. Ryan Gosling & Carrie Mulligan are great as the leads. They make you really root for them. The supporting actors, Ron Pearlman, Christina Hendricks, Bryan Cranston, and Albert Brooks are all fantastic. Just fabulous acting all around, with little character quirks.
The music in this is such a strange choice, but it works so well for the film. It Uses a bunch of 80's sounding synth-pop along with a great score. I am currently listening to it now, and highly recommend it.
You should go see this in the theatre, you won't be dissapointed. I liked this film so much, that I really want to watch it again, and I just might.

No comments: