Monday, April 23, 2012

Bullet Movie Reviews

I've been kinda watching a few movies over the last few weeks. Here are some random thoughts on the ones I remember watching.

More after the jump.




1.)
Tree of Life: This was a weird movie. I'd hear review of either great or terrible. For me it falls into the OK area. I think that the images presented on screen were beautiful, and interesting. It's a bit depressing, the story follows a family after a loss, and is presented in a non-linear way. I think some will think that it meanders, and I can see where they are coming from, but I just enjoyed some of those visuals way too much. The Actors all did a good job, I especially enjoyed Brad Pitt. I feel like I would have to watch it again in order to really grasp the entire concept of the film. That is all on me though, cause halfway through I stopped paying as much attention as I had been due to its depressing nature. This film was experimental, and I think that it works on this level, but do caution anyone that may not like unconventional story telling.



2.) The Losers: A ragtag group of military operatives, left for dead, and wanted by the government they worked for. Sounds a lot like The A-Team. It took me a little bit to get into this movie, and I'm not sure why. The direction seemed a bit over flashy, I think. So I think I was trying to decide if that worked for me or not. After a while I did get more into it, but the flashiness popped up every once in a while. It was a nice little action film, with a good cast with excellent chemistry. My favorite was Chris Evans; coming from a comedy background works to his advantage here, as the nerdy guy in t-shirts. A close second comes Jason Patrick as the bad guy, he was always doing something funny, while being completely terrible. Even with my concerns about being too flashy for its own good, I thought it was a fun, semi-over the top action movie. I don't think you should go out of your way to see it, but if you're bored and have some time to kill, you really don't have to much to lose...( ha, pun NOT intended). Also, this movie has Zoe Saldana in her underwear, so that is an added bonus (plus she plays a pretty tough character, even if she uses her sexuality too much.)!



3.) ALIEN: Yeah, the 1979 movie directed by Ridley Scott. This film still holds up, and is a great sci-fi flick. Hell, it's a great movie, period! I hadn't watched it in a long time, and everything in this is amazing. The set design, the acting, the storytelling. I just can't say enough good things about this film. I think what makes it different from a lot of sci-fi films, is that it is done seriously. Every one is portrayed as just regular working stiffs, so this makes the characters more believable, letting the audience associate with them better. so, what are you waiting for, why aren't you watching this movie right now!?



4.) Jack & Jill: Yes. Jack & Jill. Yes, the Adam Sandler one. Yes, the one where he plays his own twin sister. Yeah, I know it looked horrible. The horribleness is what piqued my curiosity. I have to say it's as bad as I expected. There are a few funny moments, but not enough to recommend this film to anyone. I get the themes they were trying to go for, but the "joke" just went on for too long.. about an hour and a half too long. I dunno, it's probably that I'm not the audience for this type of movie, and that's fine, enjoy what you like. This movie is just cliched, and over the top nuts. If you must watch it, then at least stay till the end where they have the Al Pachino Dunkin' Doughnuts commercial. I thought that was actually pretty hilarious in what is other wise a dumb movie.



5.) Fast Five: Vin Diesel and crew are back to drive around like psychopaths in tricked out cars! Only this time they have the Rock on their tail! If I had to describe this film in one phrase, then that phrase would be "Over the Top!!!!". Some of the things that happened in this film I could not believe. That being said I enjoyed every minuet of it. This is not a "good" movie, in the traditional sense, but it is hella entertaining, with giant spectacle after giant spectacle. Admittedly, it does seem to go on for a while, but they have a lot of plans to go over. It's basically what you've come to expect from the franchise, only pumped up on that shit that they used in 'CRANK'! The final car chase scene is one that got progressively crazier as it went on. Watch this if you like cheesy dialogue, fast cars, over the top action, and two bald men who look like penises pumped with steroids fighting.



6.) Paul: Simon Pegg, and Nick Frost are back together in this alien comedy. I was a bit hesitant to watch, but ended up really enjoying this movie. It was funny, and had a lot of heart. The main character of Paul was done very well, and is believable as a character, which is important in this type of film. The jokes, are a bit juvenile, but I think they worked. The person who killed it, is the person who is always killing it, Kristen Wiig. Man, she is just great, and has a lot of funny material to work with. A close second goes to Jason Bateman as a government agent. This movie might hit a bit close to home, since it is about a couple of nerds who go to comic con, but I still thought it can be enjoyed by all you regular folk.

Yeah, ok, I think I saw more movies than this, but I don't remember what those are right now. Leave me alone!!!!

No comments: